December 30, 2015

best of 2015

It's that time of year again!! Time to share with y'all what my favorites in music were in 2015! My resolution for next year is to have read enough books and watched enough movies that I can also compile 'best of' lists for those respectively...but this year was a little bit too crazy for me to accomplish that. It has been my favorite year thus far, but also the busiest. Maybe I'm losing my cool, but this mostly just contains a lot of my old favorites that came out with new music in 2015 as opposed to many newbies. Which also means this list is pretty pop-heavy, but whatever. It was a great year for pop and I shouldn't apologize for that.

With that intro out of the way, here are my top 20 tracks of 2015: 

20. Love Me Like You Do- Ellie Goulding
LOL @ me and the fact that my list from 2014 also started with Ellie. She is my #1 girl crush after all. However, I will be honest and say that Delirium was a little bit of a letdown as a whole, especially since it was a follow-up to 2012's Halcyon which was damn near perfect. But don't worry, I still bought my tix to see her take it on tour next year :) This track was certainly a highlight from the album and I don't even care that it was written for the 50 Shades movie (vom).

19. Disciples- Tame Impala
A fun dance-y track from a stellar album. Currents was excellent, but this head-boppin' tune was my favorite.

18. It's Strange- Louis The Child ft. K. Flay
My first of several Hypem treasures to make the list. I love the use of xylophones and synths and everything in between. Honestly listen to this on repeat almost everywhere I walk on campus. It's hard not to sway my hips to this beat when I do so.

17. Hold My Hand- Jess Glynne
Shout-out to my favorite sister missionary Emilee for first showing me this song many moons ago! Don't worry guys, it was long before she actually left on her mission, so no rule breaking here. I just love this happy girl-power tune from the opening bangs on the piano to the last note.

16. Leaf Off / The Cave- José González
I saw José with Drew back in April and even though I was so sleepy by the end of the show (sorry José), it was incredible. I specifically remember loving his performance of this song, but it is only one of the many beautiful tracks on Vestiges & Claws.

15. Landslide- Oh Wonder
Another Hypem find, this song has the kind of sexychill vibes that I live for. The guy/girl duo singing together makes everything sound so intimate and cool. 

14. Anna- Will Butler
The main reason this song made the list is because of this perfect video. How fun is that?! Emma Stone is the ultimate cool girl. The end.

13. Ship To Wreck- Florence + The Machine
MAH GIRL FLO. We all know this chick has pipes and this song showcases that fact beautifully. It is still my dream to see her perform live. I will probably reach enlightenment when it happens. 

12. Cheerleader- Omi (Felix Jaehn Remix)
I will go so far as to say this was the song of the summer. I played this song a ridiculous amount of times when I first heard it. I think everyone was at least a little bit addicted to it at one point, even if you don't want to admit it.

11. Loud Places- Jamie xx, Romy
If I could objectify this song, it would be a glittering disco ball. Does that make any sense? Just listen to it and I bet you'll agree with me.

10. Fool for Love- Lord Huron
Lord Huron is a band I fell for back in 2012 when they made their debut and returned with a sophomore album this year! Not quite up there with Lonesome Dreams, but this track fits in seamlessly with all my original folksy favorites.

9. Gibraltar- Beirut
Yessss Beirut is back! My two favorite tracks from No No No were in fact No No No and Gibraltar, but the use of all that percussion working so coherently with Zach Condon's silky voice made this track a stand-out for me.

8. Omen- Disclosure, Sam Smith
Everyone's favorite collaboration, wouldn't you say? Ever since the world discovered Latch, it's been made clear that these guys are a match made in heaven. Caracal is chock-full of hard-hitting collabs, but this one is by far my favorite. If you need further convincing, they even did a cover together of Hotling Bling on a BBC Live session that is pure GOLD.

7. Make Them Gold- CHVRCHES
It's no surprise to anyone that this made the list. CHVRCHES is claaaassic synth-pop genius as well as an all-time favorite of mine. Every single track on Every Open Eye ruled. I saw them live for the second time this year, and that ruled just as much. I chose this song because it could totally be in a John Green movie adaptation when the guy and girl are driving around together with the windows down. Think about it.

6. push pull- Purity Ring
When Purity Ring dropped the magic that was Another Eternity, I had trouble listening to anything else for a solid month. push pull is just one of many dazzling tracks, but I distinctly remember being so transfixed during their performance of it when I saw them in May. This was for sure my favorite concert that I attended this year. Wait I lied, Taylor Swift was...but this was a very close second.

5. Where Are Ü Now- Justin Bieber, Skrillex, Diplo
Yes, unfortunately it happened. I became a Belieber. I've always been a fan of his Christmas album, but this year Justin made quite the comeback and made us (almost) forget how much of a douche he is. What Do You Mean, Sorry, and Love Yourself were all standouts from Purpose, but this song just makes me lose it on the dance floor.

4. Tennessee- Kiiara
Definitely the best Hypem track I discovered this year by far. I get the chillest of vibes from this and I hope she will soon release many more songs!

3. Entropy- Grimes, Bleachers
I am such a fan of Grimes AND Bleachers so naturally I am obsessed with this collaboration and hope it happens again in the future. This song is just so happy and makes me feel so good whenever I listen to it.

2. The Only Thing- Sufjan Stevens
Ugh. Where do I even begin? I couldn't even pick a favorite from Carrie & Lowell because I love them all equally, but I decided on one I loved just an infinitesimal amount more than most. This is Sufjan at his best. He returned to the stripped-down sound of Seven Swans, but it was even better. I love Sufjan the most when it's this simple. Just him, his hella sad lyrics sung by his beautiful whispery voice, and a guitar or piano. Listening to this album was like listening to him for the very first time, but it's even more intimate, personal, and beautiful. Can't rave about it enough.

1. Downtown- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Eric Nally, Melle Mel, Kool Moe Dee & Grandmaster Caz 
No, this is not a joke. I am 100% serious with this choice. I know it's laughable, but I kid you not, Drew and I will blast this song almost every time we start driving anywhere. I've listened to it so much that I've practically mastered all the lyrics, raps included. It's a brilliant and hilarious combination of so many good things. Like the chorus just makes me so happy I can't really explain why. The music video is such a spectacle, you can't help but love it. And can I just say Eric Nally's voice is insanely amazing? I thought it was a woman's the first time I heard it, which makes me love it even more. So yeah, oddly enough this is my favorite song of the year.

Welp, there you have it. Thanks for reading, and please share your favorites with me! I'd love to hear them. In the meantime, check out my Spotify playlist with all of the above songs, plus another 25 of my honorable mentions: 

No comments:

Post a Comment