October 20, 2014

happy guac/awk/october

October is almost over guys! If I'm being honest, my feelings about fall are pretty indifferent. Sorry to my white girls everywhere. Out of the four seasons, it is my second to least favorite after winter (the devil's hour). Pumpkins are just OK, I prefer sundresses and sandals over sweaters and boots, and I haven't had a PSL in over a year but I think I'll live. I am just a warm weather kind of gal, and when you live in an area that rarely reaches temperatures over 50 for five months in the year and you're hardly seen without your sleeping bag coat, you really cherish those bright sunshine-y days. 
Fall does have a few redeeming qualities though. I love guacamole and ever since my favorite twitter account Awkward Girl deemed this month Guactober, the month when you celebrate by eating copious amounts of guacamole, I figured I should follow suit. Also, Halloween is just around the corner and I am very very excited about my costume this year :) I typically never put much thought or effort into a costume, but this year I thought it would be fun and I cannot wait to debut it so stay tuned! Another great thing about fall is apples. Apples are delicious and I have found so many easy, yummy recipes to utilize the abundance of apples this season. My favorites so far can be found here and here. I tried the second recipe over waffles on General Conference weekend (another wonderful aspect of the season. If you missed it, watch/read/listen here!) at Drew's apartment, and it was well received by those boys. Both are so simple but so delicious!
The best part about fall in Utah is fall in the mountains. Everyone and their mother--minus me-- drove up Alpine Loop last weekend, because that was when the trees were in their prime. Fall in the mountains is akin to an avocado. Stay with me guys: you anticipate the moment for a while and get really antsy, and then BOOM for one glorious hour (or one to two weeks) it's perfect and then just as suddenly everything turns brown and dies. #dark but true. I was determined to catch the end of the golden hour so after church on Sunday, Drew and I did just that. Many of the  leaves had already fallen, but if you drove farther up the Loop, the aspen trees still had gloriously yellow and orange hues and it was a beaut. Plus the mountains are majestic any time of year. So if you haven't already, take a drive up the canyon before everything is dead, get crafting on those Halloween costumes, and eat as much guacamole as possible because October is quickly coming to an end!

"October gave a party;
The leaves by hundreds came-
The Chestnuts, Oaks, and Maples, 
And leaves of every name.
The Sunshine spread a carpet,
And everything was grand,
Miss Weather led the dancing,
Professor Wind the band."
-George Cooper

3 comments:

  1. hahahaha at the metaphor between avocados & trees. also love the poem. also LOVE GUAC LETS MAKE IT SOMETIME TOGETHER

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! This makes me miss Provo!! Love all the pictures of the beautiful leaves!

    ReplyDelete